In an attempt to make people believe they have a say in the direction of this country, the Prime Minister's Office has setup a section on the PM's website where individuals can register a petition of their choice.
The most newsworthy petition so far has been the Road Pricing Petition and the only one I know of that has actually got a response from Tony Blair. Which is a shame as I'd love to read his response to some of the other petitions like the following Open Petitions (up to an including today):
- Ban the use of actual TV newscasters in fictional programmes
- Change the Name of Prime Minister's Question Time
- Create a 29th Feb Public Holiday to be taken once every 4 years
- end the stigmatisation of, and material discrimination against, left-handed people
- Make Tea and Digestives free on the NHS to improve social interaction
You think these are stupid? You should see the list of Rejected Petitions - some of these are blatantly people taking the piss, but others are unbelievable. It's well worth the read. It's the funniest thing you'll ever read on a government website.