I worked from home today so I could do a bit of multi-tasking: make beer whilst working. Once I'd finished brewing up a storm - I'm experimenting with making a black IPA completely off the top of my head - I headed out to the compost heap to dispose of my malt and hops dregs and noticed these chappies growing on the grass...
My instant thought: Can I eat them? Then I thought about it for a moment, ran upstairs, grabbed my camera and mushroom book and headed back down to grab these photos.
So can I eat them? I don't know. They don't look like any of the mushrooms in my book, good or bad, but that could be because of their size. They've been left to grow quite big - at least 15cm in height - and have aged a bit.
If you know what they are, feel free to let me know, until then, they'll get to stay where they are. Mushrooms are the one food I'm not prepared to take a risk on.