Today, Chris Grayling MP released a list of the top 10 most bizarre and absurd
excuses bans imposed under the guise of "health and safety".
I heard about this on the news this morning and had to hunt down the list. It didn't take me long to find it and here it is for your pleasure...
- Murray Mount closed at Wimbledon because of rain
- Butlins ban on dodgem cars from bumping into each other
- A ban on Royal wedding street parties
- The removal of a bulky TV from a pensioner's home
- Carnivals with fancy dress parades
- Kite flying on a popular tourist beach in east Yorkshire
- Stopping pupils from going on playground monkey bars
- Using pins to secure commemorative poppies
- School football games without a sponge ball
- Children banned from the sack race on sports day
I'm a bit disappointed this is only 10 items long. I've heard loads of way sillier "health and safety" excuses in my time in the UK. I think this list should be extended to 100 and each council and company involved named and shamed for their shameless excuses.
Bring on the health and safety review and let common sense prevail.