I spent most of this week upgrading all the software on my work machine and in the process went through the laborious steps up recompiling Gaim. I started with some instructions provided on one of the internal pages here at work and got Gaim 1.5.0 to build successfully, and then went on to build Gaim 2.0.0 Beta 1.
Well, after several days of hacking and troubleshooting, Gaim 2.0.0 Beta 1 is now running on my work computer. I'm still not sure I like all the changes, but I know the developers are listening, so who knows that will happen in the future.
I've detailed the steps to build Gaim 1.3.0 and later with Sun Studio for others to use.